Thursday, July 19, 2007

I really want to spin. I figured I would try a drop spindle first.

Me+ drafting+spinning=major unccordination.
I cannot walk and chew gum. I am the biggest clutz ever.
I cannot do this. I have tried and tried and tried.
Maybe it's because I am trying to teach myself. Maybe I need a visual. I don't know. But I can't get it. I get all tangled and fumbly.
What should I do? Keep trying, find someone who can to teach me, or call it a loss?


the pile of what I attempted.


A close up of the best section.


The jumble. I dont' think for my first attempt it is all that bad. But I don't think I am doing it right. I think I am doing it my way for ease and convience and not properly. Some might say that's ok. Not me. I am a real stickler for following directions and doing the right way. Then once I have mastered that I have no issue adapting it to fit me. I was going to get a wheel and try my hand at that. With this being such a failure I really don't think I should. From what I've heard you need to master the drop before the wheel and if I can't do this how can I expect to do a wheel?
UGH!
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I never mastered the drop spindle, but tried a friend's wheel and was hooked. I went ahead and bought one and have been very happy!

Anonymous said...

DO NOT GIVE UP! I bought a drop spindle and fiber last fall and couldn't get it myself. So I brought it with me to SPA and a couple people showed me. I was able to do it a little, but I was terribly uncoordinated and gave up after a bit. Then in June, a group of us went to Amy's (Spunky Eclectic) in Lisbon and she showed me the "park and draft" method (spin the spindle then hold it still between your knees or under your arm, then draft the fiber and let the spin go into it). Finally, I got it. Of course, I still can't draft while spinning, but I don't care - I'm making yarn.

I think your yarn looks pretty good for the first attempt! Better than my first attempt.

From what I hear from everyone, the wheel is easier than the spindle. I did try a wheel at a friends once and I think it probably is easier.